Packt Publishing’s WordPress 2.7 Cookbook has been out for while now, but I still thought I’d pick up a copy and give it the once-over. Rather than being a reference guide, Jean-Baptiste Jung‘s book is very much like his very own WpRecipes.com website.
The book is organised into 11 Chapters:
- Getting Ready to Cook with WordPress
- Finding and Installing Themes
- Get the most out of your WordPress Theme
- Doing anything with Plugins and Widgets
- Displaying Posts
- Managing and Enhancing Multi-Author Blogs
- Securing your WordPress Blog
- SEO Tips and Tricks to Get More Visits
- Making Money with WordPress
- Enhancing User Experience
- Make your Blog stand out
Some of the recipes include integrating twitter on your theme using the Twitter Tools plugin, accessing post data outside the WordPress loop and securing your plugins directory. The recipes are generally between 1 and 4 pages in length, and there is lots of useful information in the book’s 280 or so pages of content, but it’s just the sort of thing that’s freely available on the WpRecipes.com website and other popular sites such as Smashing Magazine.
If you are after a large collection of recipes in a single package, this is the book for you, but if you’re happy reading WordPress blogs about WordPress such as WpRecipes.com website, you may feel a little short-changed.